TURBO GOOGLE POWER SEARCH!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Reflections as my daughter graduates from High School

My daughter is taking her last final exam of high school this morning, and it has put me in a rather melancholy state of mind.  Since this is an exam for an Honors French class, her pops didnt even consider offering any help. Come to think of it she hasnt sought out my help in exam preparation for a few years now. But it doesnt seem that long ago that we would spend thursday evenings after dinner preparing for the Friday spelling test over words containing 4 or 5 letters. I hope, but rather doubt that her memories of those sessions are as fond as mine. She surely has blocked out the Saturday morning volleyball serving lessons in preparation for the saturday afternoon grade school tilts.

This is an exciting time for her. She is finishing a very successful high school career. She was very active in extracurriculars such as dance team, environment club, chairing the fall fesival committee and student council, including serving as Senior class President this year. Her academics have been outstanding maintaing a GPA in the high 3's on a 4.0 scale, while taking a full slate of honors and college credit courses at a college prep academy with a great reputation. So yes, there is plenty to be proud of as we look forward to her next challenge at Purdue University in the fall.

Wow did I say Purdue University? That is over 250 miles away, I realize that she needs to feel some independence but 250 miles! In 102 days my little girl will be taking up residence in a town 4 hours away at a University that is 65% male populated.  I think I'd rather stroll back down memory lane, musing over father-daughter dances, trips to baskin robbins and second grade spelling tests.  It does seem like it all flew by way too fast. But thanks to unlimited texting and skype maybe it wont really seem like 250 miles. I know that she will continue her success, and doubt that she will be seeking my help on Organic Chemistry exams, but I hope she knows that I will "do my best" if she does. GO BOILERS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment